- 1 pound ground beef, bison, or other red meat
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 large jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup Alaskan Smoked Porter
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans
- Salt and pepper to taste
Heat large soup pot over medium heat, add oil and then ground meat; cook over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to break up meat.
Add onion, garlic, and jalapeño and continue cooking for 3 to 5 minutes or until onions are tender.
Add chili powder, cumin, and oregano; cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add undrained diced tomatoes, smoked porter, tomato paste and brown sugar; bring to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes or until thickened to desired consistency, stirring occasionally.
Add beans and continue to simmer until beans are heated through. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Garnish with grated cheese and chopped green onion.