- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large zucchini, diced
- 2 large yellow squash, diced
- ½ red onion, diced
- ½ white onion, diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 cup white wine
- 3 cups chicken stock or canned chicken broth
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ½ cup chopped basil
- Seasonings, such as kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, crushed red pepper, cayenne
- ¼ cup pistachio nuts, toasted and roughly chopped
Heat the olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the zucchini, yellow squash, onions, celery, and garlic and stir. Cover and cook for 5 to 10 minutes without browning any of the vegetables. Add the wine, stock, and cream and simmer for 30 minutes.
Purée the soup in a food processor, return to the pot, and heat over medium heat until hot. Whisk in the basil and add seasonings to your liking.
Divide among 4 large, warm soup bowls. Garnish with pistachios and serve.
About this recipe
*(c)2001, 2009 by Kim Severson and Glenn Denkler. All rights reserved. Excerpted from The New Alaska Cookbook: Recipes from the Last Frontier’s Best Chefs (2nd Edition) by permission of Sasquatch Books.